SnapCenter is a newly designed data protection solution made by NetApp. It provides a centralized, unified and easy made interface for protecting VMs, applications like SAP HANA, file systems and databases like SQL and Oracle.
SnapCenter manages SnapShots and SnapVault/SnapMirror relationships. Additionally it has RBAC (role based access control) and remote plugin installation features.
What’ new in SnapCenter 3.0?
Beside the already provided plugins for VMWare, SQL, Oracle, NAS and file systems there are the following new and/or improved plugins:
- New SnapCenter Plug-in for SAP HANA Database
- Consistend Backup for SAP HANA single container and MDC single tenant databases
- Catalog management
- Restore and recovery using SAP HANA Studio
- SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere
- Restore from SnapMirror or SnapVault destination volumes
- VSC Backup and Restore feature parity
- Single File Restore preparation with mounting a single VMDK
- Migration path from VSC to SnapCenter Plugin
- SnapCenter Plug-in for NAS File Services
- Backup from ONTAP Primary to ONTAP Secondary without the need of AltaVault
- Restore a file or directory to the same or an alternate path
- SnapCenter Plug-in for Oracle Database
- Restore backups from ONTAP secondary using SnapRestore for faster restores
Additional there is ONTAP 9.2 support as well as automatic migration from SQL Express/internal SQL Server to MySQL and many other enhancements.
Don’t forget the community plugins for DB2, MySQL and MongoDB (coming soon) or write your own little Plug-in.
Check the release notes for more information and the full list of enhancements: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_get_file/ECMLP2671335
What I really like about SnapCenter 3.0 is that most of the features from SnapCreator are now fully included in SnapCenter (SAP HANA, Oracle). Secondly and most important IMHO is that VSC for Backup can now finally be lifecycled with SnapCenter 3.0.
There is more coming in the future like Exchange Server or community based Plug-ins, so stay tuned!